HEALTH BENEFITS OF ORANGES
A package of good health and vitamins – that’s the beauty of Safa Orange Juice. Compact, portable and oh-so delicious, the orange packs a hefty nutritional punch. Whether eaten by the slice, or poured into a glass, the health benefits from this perfect fruit make it an indispensable part of a sensible diet.
1. The world knows the orange is a great source of Vitamin C. The body stores, but does not produce this vitamin. Daily replenishment is essential to support the immune system, which helps fight illness like colds and flu.
2. Vitamin C is also a valuable antioxidant, which protects the body from harmful agents that promote aging and contribute to the development of major diseases.
3. Vitamin C helps maintain collagen, the substance that helps the body repair tissue and maintain healthy gums. An 8 oz-glass of Safa orange juice provides more than 100 % of the daily requirement of this important vitamin.
4. The first step in reducing the risk of cancer is to maintain a diet that includes plenty of low fat foods, such as fruits and vegetables. Studies have shown that vitamins A and C and fiber are helpful in preventing this disease.
5. Orange juice supplies folic acid, a B vitamin that has been shown to help pregnant women reduce the risk of having babies with birth defects. Since birth defects can show up in the very early stages of pregnancy, it is important for women of childbearing age to have adequate levels of folic acid even before they know they are pregnant.
6. B vitamins found in orange juice, folate, B12 and B6 may help prevent heart disease. In addition, oranges are a good source of soluble fiber, which can help lower blood cholesterol.
7. Potassium is an essential element in cardiovascular health. Studies have shown that sufficient amounts of potassium in the body can help reduce the risk of high blood pressure.
8. Citrus juices are said to be effective in lowering the risk of stroke. Second only to cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts, a daily glass of orange juice can reduce your stroke risk by 25%. Scientists indicate that this may be due to the amounts of fiber, folate and potassium found in these foods.